Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore

My stand alone ice maker, makes ice great! 5 times, then it

Customer Question

my stand alone ice maker, makes ice great! for about 5 times, then it acts like it can't get water sounds like it is sucking air. Replaced the value and it still does it- board was replaced 3 months ago- worked fine for about 5 sheets of ice, then sucks like it can't get water
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 4 months ago.

Hello, this is Dave and I'm happy to help you. What we need to determine is if the water lint going to the top of the cooling plate is freezing or if a slab of ice is getting stuck part way off the plate causing all the new water to be diverted off the plate and down into the bin. The stuck slab is the most likely. Has it been a while since it was cleaned? Mineral build up on the evaporator or an ice guide out of place will cause a stuck slab. On average it takes 18 -25 minutes to make a slab. You willy need to be there and watch what happens at each harvest to see if you can catch it dumping all the water over a stuck slab. Let me know what you find so I can advise of next steps.