bonzaco
bonzaco,
Experience:  Owner at Dales Electronic
26760916

I have a Kenmore elite top load washing machine model

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore elite top load washing machine model(###) ###-#### ***** was doing a heavy load of work clothes and the machines seem to be squeaking with a light grinding noise while the agitator is working. I often get coins stuck in the agitator Channel so I remove the clothes in there was nothing there if I manually spin the drum it has a light squeaking and grinding noise. I pulled out the agitator in everything looks okay under there and cleaned it what is a it still has a squeaking in grinding noise. I watched a few videos to familiarize myself with machine I am in the process of trying to take the drum out to look underneath there but I'm wondering if it is some other problem and what I should pursue to fix. My name is***** am at the machine currently if I could get some assistance
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

I would first look at the rotor, number K201 in the diagram at the link below. If you tip the machine back, you can remove the K300 nut and pull the rotor off to visually inspect it and the stator (number K200). Let me know what you find.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Kelly I took apart the rotor and stator it appears that the shaft is wobbly and doesn't spring spin freely. I would assume there was a bearing that went bad. I believe this machine has a 10 year warranty on the stator and rotor I'm not sure the bearing assembly would be covered if I had a service tech repairing the job. I did see a video on how to replace the bearing but I would need some press tools. Wondering if you think this is the same
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

The bearing is in the bottom of the outer tub and is likely the source of the noise. It is not part of the drive system and is not covered under the warranty. I am not even showing the bearing or tub assembly as available.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is this bearing assembly a common problem. You're not showing any sources that you use for parts. My wife is frustrated with the top loader has the clothes are completely twisted and Tangled and have to be pulled out strategically and shaking or cold by hand to get flat I was considering fixing this machine and then selling it. I paid 550 on sale although it was $1,100 new not sure if it's worth fixing if the part is too much money I might get 3 , 4 or 500 used. Considering buying a front loader. Based on repair history and build quality would you suggest any particular brand. Are you going to attempt to find their bearing assembly as a source for me to purchase and would also need to press tools
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

That model is built for Sears by LG, all tub parts available are below. As for a front loading replacement, I would look at a Whirlpool or Maytag, both made by Whirlpool.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Kelly I did some research and found repairclinic.com which has videos to show replacement parts and i talked to them they have a clutch assembly which would include the bearings and shaft part number AEN 7313 1403. It appears to match up identical to what I have it is an LG part which evidently made the Sears Kenmore machine. Would you agree that this part would work and fit my machine. I do not believe I need to take out the drum it would just be installed from underneath. Would it have self-sealing or sealant needed as it is reinstalled. Please let me know thanks Tom
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

That does cross to your model, see video below.

CLICK HERE

I apologize that I did not catch that before.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Kelly I mentioned earlier I couldn't seem to pull the tub up out of the machine I didn't want to break anything do you have any suggestions to loosen the tub up
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

Usually, once the nut (K040) is removed, you just kind of have to work it back and forth pushing down on one side and up on the other. After several years of use it gets built up with deposits that keep it held down.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Kelly I got the drum out and flipped it upside down it is full of crud. There was obviously water leaking through the drum and eventually into the bearings. There is a rubber gasket liner on the underside of the drum it appears to be intact but wondering if that ever gets replaced. I have Permatex gasket sealant and dressing that I was going to coat the assembly parts around the shaft is a put it together. Would you recommend doing that we're using something else and should I try to find a casket for the underside of the Drum. I ordered the clutch assembly I should receive it tomorrow afternoon and we'll put the unit back together
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

I am not sure what gasket would be under there. Can you post a picture?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can post a picture. How would I send it? Do you have an email or does it attach to this formum
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

You can just use the ADD FILE tab or the paper clip icon, whichever you have.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This is the bottom of the drum that has a gasket that looks like it meets up with the a gasket on the shaftop that comes up through the drum liner into the drum. It looks like they pair up but there is nothing to give them a good seal where I must have got leakage
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The bottom of this shaft has a channel that slips into a channel that's in the gasket on the bottom of the drum. I don't think the manufacturer ever put any kind of sealant between the two that is pliable or liquid to helpful water leakage other than compression of the two rubber gaskets. That's where I was thinking of using a gasket sealant that doesn't dry
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

I don' t see that gasket as available separate from the tub assembly. I am going to open your question to other techs because that style is not one that I am 100% familiar with.

Expert:  bonzaco replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I see that Kelly has opted out of the question so thought I would try and help you further - if you look at the attached link you will see instructions on how to change the bearing and seal fitted to your model - come back to me if you have further questions -- http://partsdr.com/blog/w10435302-bearing-kit-installation-instructions/ --

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Kelly I just received the part for my Kenmore top load washer. I put the stator on and the rotor and forgot to tighten one of the stator bolts and cannot get the rotor off I've been pulling and wiggling for over an hour but one of the bolts is halfway out that I need to get at it. . I even flipped the machine upside down to get better Leverage but I cannot get the rotor off do you have any ideas or suggestions. I'm very frustrated
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I've had the rotor off two or three times assembling this but for some reason it will not come off this time
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Kelly I ended up drilling a hole in line with the bolt to the stator to finish tightening down the last bolt, since I couldn't get the rotor off which worked out okay. As I spun the rotor around it has a slight grinding noise against a stator. This didn't do it with the factory rotor I'm wondering if this is sometimes common where it needs to be broken in. I am doing a load of wash now and it has a light grinding noise as the agitator spins. I was wondering if this would eventually just wear in . And the noise would go away, have you experienced this situatio.