John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company

Freezer freezing up and blocks cooling of refrigarator

Customer Question

Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

Will you please send me the model number? Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

Thank you. You can safely melt the ice with a hair dryer or heat gun. Please try the following door gasket seal test. Using a paper money bill, insert it in various spots around the door gasket, while closing the door normally. If you find spots where there is little or no resistance pulling the bill out, the door gasket needs to be replaced. If this is the case, please let me know.

Using the expert's star rating scale, please click the star that expresses your satisfaction with my response. I'm not paid, until you rate my service.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Doors gaset test is tight. What next?
Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

I think the refrigerator heat sensor has failed. Unfortunately, Amana no longer manufactures home appliance products, and no company parts are available. This doesn't mean you can't get the fridge repaired, as generic parts are still available to appliance service dealers. One of them can perform an on site diagnosis, and, most likely get the part needed.