Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

Pearl I am trying to replace the broken left side drawer

Customer Question

Pearl I am trying to replace the broken left side drawer support on my KItchenAid refrig. I have the replacement part, #W10122078. However, I cannot see how to remove the broken part. There are no visible screws and I can't find any thing to push, pull etc to take the broken part out. Can you help? Ron R.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: The model is KFCS22EVMS2. My guess is that it is about 7 years old.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I would like to.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I am not too handy but I try hard. I was able to remove all 3 drawers, the glass and the supports. HOwever, I can only stare at the broken part as I see no way to remove it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

If you look on the back of that part, are those pressure tabs that are near the front. Do they appear to go into a hole and pop out and act as a retainer?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am looking at the back of the replacement part. However, I don't know what pressure tabs are?
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

I will arrow a picture, please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

I believe the red arrowed part is what holds the front in and once it is pulled out, the blue arrowed tabs will pull out to allow removal.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can't pull it out. The metal rail that the drawer slides on is in the way. Is there a way to remove it?
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Yes, there are holes that align in the rails that will allow you to remove the rail screws. Pull the rail slowly until the holes align.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just checked. I do not see any holes of any kind in either the part that slides or in the part that is stationary. I suspect it somehow clips on but it is not obvious to me how.
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Can you post a picture of the rail in place? I have not replaced that style end cap before, they usually have a screw at the front and then swing out and pull forward.

Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Did you try prying the front out gently to release those tabs?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you talking about pulling just the rail or the entire end cap? Also, while I could take a picture with my cellphone, I am not sure how to get that picture to you.
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

The plastic end cap, gently pry it at the front to release the pressure tabs with the rail attached.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I tried prying gently but nothing seems to come loose. I'm afraid that if I try harder, I will break something.
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

I agree. I am going to place your question back to the list in case another has replaced that part. I will continue to see if I can track down the answer, though!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Kelly So far, I have not heard anything further.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Kelly ---It has been 48 hours and I still have not received a response. I am going out of town for a while starting late tomorrow and I need to get this resolved. I need the further response (promised for over 24 hours ago) immediately.