John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a ge arctic a profile side by side and the freezer is

Customer Question

Hi I have a ge arctic a profile side by side and the freezer is at 19-20 degrees for a few days now. Hit reset to zero several ti,WA to no avail.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Stands by I need my glasses , it's about 13 years old.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Possibly, I'm somewhat handy but depends model is ps123ngpa bb
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: S/n gf430775
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 5 months ago.

Look inside the freezer on the back wall ( you probably will have to remove some items ). Do you see any frost accumulating on this wall ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Looks like it already has melted. It's not frost as its already up to 23 degrees in there and back wall doesn't have build up but more like moisture streams

OK pull the fridge out and remove the bottom panel that goes all the way across. See if the fan ( the condenser fan ) and the compressor ( the black thing about the size of a cantaloupe ) are running . Put your hand on the compressor to feel if it is running.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Compressor is really hot to touch and doesn't appear to be running . He fan is running and the fan is very dirty
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We did happen to lose power in a storm a few nights ago if that helps?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
HELLO? the compressor appears to be not running. the fan runs, the fan and coil were very dirty, i blew them out and cleaned it out and am letting it run for a couple hours to see if the temp drops in the freezer. its really hard to tell if the comp is running because i 'm not sure how quiet it is when it runs. i was very surprised though at how hot the compressor is...
any further thoughts?

If the condenser was REALLY dirty this was cause high head pressure and explain why the compressor is so hot, although they do get fairly hot from running a long time. Take a screwdriver and put the business end on the shell of the compressor and the handle to your ear and see if jyou can tell if it is running.