John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

I have an Amana dishwasher, model adb 1500awb. The door

Customer Question

I have an Amana dishwasher, model adb 1500awb. The door latch stuck in closed position. I got it open, bought a new latch with handle. However the plastic clips that hold the latch have broken. Is there any fix for this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 4 months ago.

Hi do you mean on the latch itself ? the colored handle ? or the control panel where it is housed? thx Randy

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Randy, Thanks for your reply. I removed the screws in the dishwasher door, accessed the inside, unclipped the electrical plugs and removed the old handle and latch piece. It was then that I noticed there were 2 little black clips that seemed to be molded into the door panel. The old latch had snapped into those but one side had broken off of each clip - perhaps when we were trying to get the door open. Now, the only thing that will hold the new latch in place will be the 2 screws that secure the latch to the door. I'm not sure that is sufficient to allow the latch to operate properly. I would try it out but I'm afraid I might have another "stuck door". Have I described the situation well enough that you can picture it? I can take a picture with my phone and send it if that's possible. Thanks, Sue