John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Dryer quit running

Customer Question

dryer quit running
Category: Appliance
Expert:  bruce peterson replied 7 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello

Do you have the model for your dryer

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have a Maytag Electric Dryer that just won't start... it is a model # *****

Ok give me a few minutes to pull up diagram of unit

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have checked and i have 110 on each leg, and 220 across the two.
The door switch is good i tested it out, but from there i am at a loss

Ok was that power test on the back of the dryer?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
that was at the receptical, and then verified at the terminal block

Correct terminal block on the back of dryer. Ok so you need to test the hi limit thermostat it is on the heater. I will send you a diagram of what you need to test

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That would be the one directly above the heater with two red wires correct?

Yes its really small and round. make sure the dryer is unplugged then pull both wires off and then test for continuity. Do you have a volt meter with tone , if not then do ohms test and you should get 0 ohms

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I tested that one earlier, it had continuity, i went a step further and bypassed it, with no result
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There is also a small one smaller than the one on top, i am assuming this is the thermal Fuse? would that be correct

You never want to bypass it just for future. Yes that was the one i was speaking about it controls power to the dryer.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Where yes i know not to bypass it, at least not for operation, just wanted to see if it would run, had it ran, i would have gone and got a new one of them

The fuse im talking about is number 5 on the diagram

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What i meant was there was another small one on the side of the box the heater is in, have not checked it; i checked the one on top of the heater with the two red wires, described in the diagam as Safety Thermostat. It had continuity, and is the one i bypassed. Should i check the smaller one now the same way?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK i tested #3, ill check #5 now

Yes that was the one i was reffering to it cuts power to dryer when it blows

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it tests good, has continuity

Ok have you checked the belt is it good or broken?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
belt is good, blower motor turns as i turn the drum as well

Ok then its the timer that is the only thing that can give power or cut it off. Give me a minute and i will send diagram

I dont have a good picture of timer but i have the part# ***** ordering

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How do i test the timer?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm not going to blindly go ordering parts till i have verified the defective part first
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are you still there?

Ok its not blindly ordering i had you test everything that is fed from the timer and if you tested correctly you have shown all fuses and switches test good. Also if you order from repairclinic.com they have a 100% return policy even after installing part so theres no risk on your part. I do know what i am doing if you doubt my experience then i can let you do what you think is best

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There has to be a way to test the timer though.........

Yes there is but you can only verify power. Plus I just looked at all parts and this model has a control board. give me a few minutes and i will get a diagram to show you how to test timer

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the control board is only for moisture control in automatic cycles
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
here is something that makes no sense....there is no power going to part # ***** when the unit is plugged in, any idea why?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i might add, that is unit powered (plugged in) and door switch taped in the closed position

Part #3 is the hi limit no power only safety fuse you only test for continuity not voltage

Why is the door switch taped?

The red and black wire on the timer is the power in

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
do you know another way to test function when the front cover is off, you have to close the switch circuit to see if you have operation
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
your really being confusing with your info here......it is the high limit switch i agree, but it has to have power at some point, otherwise it would be useless
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i have voltage at the timer

Ok i wasnt aware you had everything apart. No you need to not feel that your testing is better than mine or things will stay confusing and no reason to continue

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I found the issue, and it was no help from you at all...IT WAS NOT THE TIMER AS YOU STATED....it was corroded red wire at the motor, simply scraped wire clean a little and dryer is running now....HOW DO I GET A REFUND?

You just didnt understand what i was saying i said it was the timer according to what you had already did. If you were so set on not following the process then you should have not asked for help since your so well versed. You will need to speak to administrator because i didnt get paid for the time wasted with resistance

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Really? you just bail in the middle here, because what your telling me is incorrect??????
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
iasked you directly how to test the timer, you wanted me to jump right to ordering one.....and no i disagree it was not the timer, as a bad connection at another location does not indicate a timer issue. You apparently just know how to throw parts at an issue till its fixed.

Say what you want your the genius and my many years of experience mean nothing especially trying to help people that feel they know more than the trained technician. i take your comments serious and i will take action accordingly. I also didnt bail on anything you just werent listening but to busy feeling you know more. I also never said we were done testing but you were in such a hurry. Good luck to you