RJ
RJ, Appliance Tech.
Experience:  Norcold, Dometic, Atwood, Suburban repairs
3862310

Norcold refer works on shore power, but when I turn on a

Customer Question

Norcold refer works on shore power, but when I turn on a light it tries to switch over to gas. I then turn to off then back to auto and the gas will fire up, but the second I turn off that light gas quits working
Category: Appliance
Expert:  RJ replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert....

What is the model of the Norcold?

Robert

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
N61x
Expert:  RJ replied 9 months ago.

OK

SO you are saying it works fine on AC power but when you turn a light on it switches to gas? What is the Year, Make and Model of the RV?

Robert

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
2007 Winnebago vista
Expert:  RJ replied 9 months ago.

Just so I understand, the fridge is working on AC power and when you turn any light on inside the RV the fridge switches to LP??

Robert

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It tries to switch to gas, but I have to turn to off position then back to auto, then the gas will fire up, but the shore power won't work, then if I turn that light off the gas goes out
Expert:  RJ replied 9 months ago.

I have to say your issue is very odd and IF you are turning on a DC light and the fridge is switching to LP it sounds like a power converter or voltage issue. What I would do for testing is get you a battery and some small jumper wires and jump power and ground from the battery to the circuit board and see what happens. IF everything works fine it has to be an issue with the DC power supply, sometimes a power converter can put out AC ripple or dirty voltage and the board does not like it. Also make sure the voltage is over 11 volts, low voltage can cause problems, make sure all the connectors on the circuit board are clean and tight.

Normally when you are plugged in and in auto it should always run on AC power, if you loose the AC power it will switch to gas and then when AC power is restored it will switch back... IF all is working find until you turn a light on then it sounds like a voltage issue.

Hope this makes sense, IF you need a service manual please let me know.......

Robert

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Will give it a try, was thinking it was the converter, thanks
Expert:  RJ replied 9 months ago.

No problem if you need more help please let me know, I am around daily and respond when I can, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating... Robert

Expert:  RJ replied 9 months ago.

Was just checking in to see if my answer helped???? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.... Robert