Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I'm having lots of frost in the freezer after defrosting the

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, I'm having lots of frost in the freezer after defrosting the drain a week ago. I realize air is getting in somewhere, the seal is not even all the way around. I loosened the screws and tried to align the door but I'm not getting a good seal. Do I need to replace the seal?
JA: What's the make and model? And have you checked the settings recently?
Customer: Its a Kenmore 795 with77306601, Im not sure how to check the settings
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can I already put some time into it. I took everything apart to drain the drain hose and opened the back up. the only thing i didnt check was the grommet that keeps air from going back up into the unit through the drain hose. i read about replacing the motherboard but i think since there is so much frost that air is getting in.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I checked the airflow from under the unit and towards the back inside freezer. both seem fine
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly.

Answer:

You likely need to replace the seal or get a heat gun and warm up the gasket and see if you can get it to seal correctly on the frame. If you can not get a new gasket and you will still need to heat it to get it to seat correctly and seal 100%.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me!.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** wonder if the air is coming through the drain since this wasnt happening before I defrosted the drain
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Or before you had suggested to someone that the freezer wasn't getting cold enough, could this be the problem?

No that should not cause that issue.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Will a hair dryer work?

Yes a hair dryer will work fine