John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company

I have a GE model GLWN2800D1WS top loading clothes washer.

Customer Question

I have a GE model GLWN2800D1WS top loading clothes washer. We recently moved to a new home. The washer has developed a rubbing noise (for lack of a better description). It also seems to vibrate more in the spin cycle. (Unbalanced load, maybe?) What might be causing the rubbing noise.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

Check to make certain the machine is level. Please let me know, if you need more help.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have placed a level on it and it seems to be pretty level both side to side and front to back.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Aside from completely disassembling the washer, can you offer any other pearls of wisdom?
Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

Thank you. The inner tub may have been misaligned during the move. Jiggle it back and forth around the edge, and run a wash cycle without a load to see if it will realign itself.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks. That seems to be really too simple, so I guess now that might be the problem.
Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

The tub uses rubber straps to center it during operation. If the problem returns, check them to see if one has come off or broken. The part number is ***** and the price is $3.02. You can buy them at

Using the expert's star rating scale, please click the star that expresses your satisfaction with my responses. I'm not paid, until you rate my service.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks John. I now think the inner tub needs
To be tweeked as you suggested. I will let you
know once I have time to mess with it some
Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

OK. Thank you. The request stays active for 7 days.