John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My Maytag Bavos washer--top loader--wont start when I push

Customer Question

My Maytag Bavos washer--top loader--wont start when I push the
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It is about 6 years old; my husband and I live here and travel a great deal. The Model is MVWX500XW0. When I push the "Start" button, is generally beeps quiclkly and repeatedly and won't start. But it is temperamental: it wouldn't start today despite many attempts, but when I went to look at it now to make ascertain whether the lid locks or not, it started! It has been not starting more often than starting; a couple of times it wouldn't start on a normal setting but if I moved it to "Bulky" or "Hand Washing", it would start and then I moved it to normal and it continued. This has been happening intermittently for about 3 weeks but it is getting increasingly hard to start. Please help! Thanks.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can, I would love to. I don't think it has ever ceased to work, but the dryer stopped when I had 12 people staying here and I had to call someone who would be out quickly--it was a nothing repair (took him 5 minutes, literally) for $100! If it is simple, perhaps I can do it.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: If I do an average of 4-5 loads a week, it is a lot. And when it does start, it works efficiently.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 5 months ago.

Hello, this is Dave and I'm happy to help you. Your washer stores fault codes so we can use diagnostics to find out what faults are stored. Getting into diagnostics is a bit tricky but if the first time it doesn't work just start over again. The first section here is all text but watch the video from the link at the bottom first and it will help you know what to do. Be ready to write them down and let me know what code you get

ACTIVATING THE SERVICE DIAGNOSTIC TEST MODES

1. Be sure the washer is in standby mode (plugged in with all indicators off).

2. Perform the following sequence of movement using the cycle selector knob.

NOTE: AFTER RESET, sequence “a” through “e” must be completed within 6 seconds.

RESET - Rotate cycle selector knob counterclockwise one or more clicks to clear sequence.

a. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait ½ second.

b. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait ½ second.

c. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait ½ second.

d. Rotate cycle selector knob counterclockwise one click and wait ½ second.

e. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click.

 Successful activation of Diagnostic Test Modes will be indicated by all status LEDs (except for Lid Locked) flashing ON and OFF in half-second intervals.

NOTE: LED names may vary between makes and models.

When all LEDs are flashing, turn the knob until the “Done” light comes on.

Press the start button.

Turn the knob clockwise one click and observe if any LEDs flash in sequence.

If the Sensing, Prewash, and/or Soak LEDs are ON, the Fault Number is *****; if OFF, the Error Number is ***** The remaining LEDs (Wash, Rinse, Spin, and Done) represent the fault and error code in binary.

The code is read by reading what LEDs are on with the Sensing LED, (This is the fault) and then what LEDs are on when it goes out, (This is the error).

Watch the alternating codes and let me know what lights, if any are on when the Sensing LED is on and then what lights come on when it goes off.

After you read the first code if you turn the knob one click at a time clockwise it will display the next code if any are present. Video link

Can you give an update? How did you do and do you still need help?