Ezekiel
Ezekiel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Repair Expert
91962359

I have a Maytag MDE2400AYW dryer stacked on an RV. The dryer

Customer Question

Hi Kelly. I have a Maytag MDE2400AYW dryer stacked on an RV. The dryer keeps tripping the breaker even with the door open. I have pressed the door switch repeatedly but it still does a slight hum before the breaker immediately throws. We had used it earlier this week at another campground and it ran fine, but now it won't start. I've checked for 220 v to the breaker at the dryer and it tested ok.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 5 months ago.

hi I'm Ezekiel I will be helping you with this problem

Expert:  Ezekiel replied 5 months ago.

when you press start it makes a hum noise then trips he breaker as stated

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello Ezekiel. No, I don't have to push start. When I reset the breaker, the dryer makes a brief humming noise like the motor is stalled, and then immediately trips the breaker.
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 5 months ago.
Hi
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 5 months ago.
Ok yes that humming is the motor bound up in front of the dryer where the filter goes if something got thru a sock anything it will get stuck in the blower housing can u open the door and rotate the drum or is a little hard to turn
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The drum turns freely. The odd thing is that it will hum regardless of whether the door is open or not.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ezekiel. Are you still live on this? I don't see anyway a sock could get in the drum by the filter. Again the drum turns freely.Any ideas?
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 5 months ago.

if the drum turns freely so should the motor unless its locked up or if the belt pulley is bad it wont spin causing the motor to hum then trip the breaker

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
how do I check this further? The unit is stacked in a closet. Can the front be removed without taking the dryer out of the closet? Can you provide instructions on how to remove the front? Thanks
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 5 months ago.

hi please respond when ready you will need to take the front panel off the dryer your going to have to remove the top of the dryer to access screws to remove the front panel