Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I have a GE Profile Performance side by side and I now have

Customer Question

I have a GE Profile Performance side by side and I now have to put the freezer temp control to its highest setting (9) and then I get 9 degrees. Any lower than this and I get 20 degrees and water leakage at bottom of Freezer door. Any tips (unit is 12 years old)
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

1. Can you hear a fan running in the freezer section?
  2. Can you see any frost on the back wall inside the freezer?
  3. May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The Model is a GE TFX26PPDAWW. Yes I hear a fan running when I open the Freezer Door. I don't see frost on the back of the freezer but I constantly get a chunk of ice forming in the back of the ICE Maker tray. It's like some the ice cubes melted together into a ball. I have to always take out the Cube tray and break that chuck off. Otherwise the ice maker works OK.
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Thank you! In the diagram at the link below, can you remove number 214, the rear panel from the inside of the freezer, to get a look at the coil to see if it is frosted up, please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The upper coils were fine but the lower coils towards the bottom of the Freezer section have frost on them. I sent two images to show you what's happening. Also when I took out the bottom freezer food tray they was water sitting there with some frozen ice sheets semi-melted.
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

You have a leak in the refrigeration system. The refrigerant level is low and the reason for your poor cooling. That repair will require specialized tools and training and a great deal of time. You can expect around $350 + parts to have it professionally repaired. Given the age of the refrigerator, I would strongly encourage you to replace it.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to rate before you leave, using the stars at the top of the page. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you sure there is no other possibility other than a refrigerant leak? Something like a bad thermostat, defrost timer etc.?
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Nope, that frost pattern is definitely low refrigerant level.