Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair

GE 2009 Model #GFSF6KKXABB - keeps freezing up - ice

Customer Question

GE 2009 Model #GFSF6KKXABB - keeps freezing up - ice accumulates in refrigerator at back where vents are - replaced a part last July and this started again about 3 months ago
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: dah
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: would like to
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

That model has two evaporators one in the refrigerator and one in the freezer, very 8-12 hours the unit goes into defrost mode to melt the ice off the evaporator when this does not happen because of a malfunction of the defrost system the evaporator coil becomes iced over and the evaporator is behind that panel you are seeing the ice forming on so it wont be long that your refrigerator will not be cooling properly because when the coil freezes over the unit cant circulate the air in the refrigerator proper to keep cooling. You will have to replace the defrost components to fix that problem and thaw the coil out. Give me just a minute I am getting you the part numbers and some instructions to fix it, give me just a minute.

Temperature Sensor WR23X10582 - click here

Defrost Thermostat WR02X12592 - click here

here is a video that shows how to take it apart to get to the sensor and thermostat to replace it, in the video it shows them removing the defrost heater as well but on yours you do not have to remove the heater unless its bad, you can check it with a meter for continuity and if its good just leave it. On the older models they did not sell the sensors separate from the defrost heater like they do now so you had to order all the components with the heater which is not the case on the newer ones.

We are on the honor system here. Since I have given you the initial answer please rate/vote by selecting a star at the top of the screen and any follow up questions you may have will be free of charge and of course I will continue to help if needed.

Rating me will does not affect what you agreed to pay for the question and will not have any affect on what you have already been billed for unless you request a phone call.

Feel free to get back to me with any questions you may have but in the meantime I would appreciate you going ahead and rating the answer as this is the only way I get compensated for my time, thanks!

After you have rated/voted the answer you will be sent an email with a link that will allow you to get back to me for any follow up questions free of charge it will not close the question.

Please Know: I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money. I am just a technician on the site that is here to help assist you and have nothing to do with billing.

When you rate/vote my answer you have to click on the star vote/rate system at the top of your screen. Typing I give you a 5 star rating in a message does absolutely nothing to help me you have to click on the rating system.

Thank You!

Tips are not expected but are greatly appreciated.