Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I HAVE AN AMANA 27 SIDE BY SIDE REFRIGERATOR THAT IS NOT

Customer Question

I HAVE AN AMANA 27 SIDE BY SIDE REFRIGERATOR THAT IS NOT COOLING PROPERLY IN FREEZER AS WELL AS REFRIGERATOR SIDE. KEEP GETTING HIGH TEMP ALARMS. COMPRESSOR IS WORKING AND FAN IN THE BOTTOM IN BACK BY COMPRESSOR IS WORKING BUT FREEZER AND REFRIGERATOR HAVE NO AIR FLOW. CAN YOU HELP ME OUT?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

1. Can you hear a fan running in the freezer section?
  2. Can you see any frost on the back wall inside the freezer?
  3. May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
NO FAN IS RUNNING IN THE FREEZER SECTION AT ALL. THE FREEZER HAS TOTALLY DEFROSTED AND EVERYTHING MOVED OUT OF IT. MY MODEL #36795E-P1152603WE
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

If the freezer is warm, the fan will not run. So, if the compressor is running and you have no cooling in the freezer, the refrigerant has leaked out and it will require a sealed system repair. That type of repair requires specialized tools and training and is not something you will be able to complete. You can expect a high repair cost, around $300-350 + parts. If the refrigerator is more than about 8 years old, it may be wise to look at replacing it.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to rate before you leave, using the stars at the top of the page. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the freezer is cooling somewhat but not enough to freeze.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

Correct, there is a thermostat that must get cold enough to close to make the fan run. Is there a build up of frost on the rear wall of the freezer? Can you remove the rear wall (inside the freezer) to see what the coil looks like?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I WILL DO SO AND GET BACK TO YOU!!!!
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** of the frost pattern on the evaporator coil would be very helpful!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I left unit unplugged overnight. I plugged up today and set temperatures mid-range for both the freezer and refrigerator. Fan in freezer came on after it cooled down. once this happened I took back out in freezer to look at coils and they had froze up at top in back and frosty everywhere else.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I took the pictures that you asked for. I need to know where to send them?
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

You can use the ADD FILE tab to post them here.