John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

My dehumidifier runs but only collects a tiny amount of

Customer Question

My dehumidifier runs but only collects a tiny amount of water. I've cleaned the entire interior and filter, it is set at 50% humidity, the humidity of the space using another gage says that it is 58%. The temperature of the space is 65 F. Any other suggestions to get it working properly?
JA: What's the make and model of your machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: LG LHD45ELT8 and about 7-8 years
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I think that I am handy, I've taken it apart and cleaned it a couple of times.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  bonzaco replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** can you tell me if the air that is coming out of the back of the dehumidifier is warm or cold? Secondly is the compressor and fan assembly running?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The air is room temp or cool, not warm. The compressor is running, it is warm to the touch.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 4 months ago.

OK thanks for that - the way that the system works is that warm moisture laden air is sucked in at the front and hits a cold heat exchanger called an evaporator at this point any moisture is condensed out into water and the now dry air passes over another heat exchanger that heats the air and forces it out of the rear (warm air can hold more moisture than cold) if you have only cool air coming out of the back I would suggest that either you are short of refrigerant or the compressor is failing - Ian