Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

GE washer has a magnetic lid switch hard wired. One wire

Customer Question

GE washer has a magnetic lid switch hard wired. One wire goes to the control panel the other wire goes to the motor. can i bypass the switch by cutting and connecting the two wires to each other, so the machine will agitate/spin while waiting for delivery of the new switch?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I have no idea of age. model number wcsr4170g1ww
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes. i have the control panel and front cover off
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no, just would like to know if i can tie the two wires togther temporarily
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

Wiring the two wires together should bypass the switch circuit, yes. Since this model still uses a mechanical timer, it should not be an issue.