Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I have a microwave that the fan and light won't turn off

Customer Question

I have a microwave that the fan and light won't turn off on....Kenmore 790.80343310
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

You have a faulty door switch. If you apply light pressure down on the door, does it change behavior?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
unfortunately no. the only way I can get the light and fan to stop is by opening the door
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Okay, thank you! Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Number 43 in the diagram is the switch in question, there are two of them. I would replace them both.

Access is gained by removing the grille from above the door, followed by the screw at the top of the control panel. Once that screw is removed, the control panel will lift up and hinge down, allowing access to the switches. Of course, be sure to unplug the microwave.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to rate before you leave, using the stars at the top of the page. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok, I tried replacing the switches and unfortunately the light is still on. I'm assuming the fan is going to turn on once the microwave reaches a certain temp
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

The fan should run only when the unit is cooking. If the light is staying on, you did not replace the correct switch or installed it incorrectly. Are the terminals on the new switch in the same place as the old switch?