Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

The dryer in my 3 year old GE Space Maker Model No.

Customer Question

The dryer in my 3 year old GE Space Maker Model No. GTUP270EM4WW stacked laundry system starts making an annoying constant humming noise after it heats up, which is noticeably louder than the operating sound the dryer makes initially cold prior to heating up. The Serial No. is GA001037C. Said humming sound from the dryer after heating up is not normal and is much louder than the 27 year old Whirlpool stacked laundry system that this GE unit replaced! Please help!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly.

One sec while I check your model

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK Thanks

On that unit when that starts to happen this is actually a failed blower wheel or motor on the unit. As the blower wheel heats it can expand causing a vibration noise that can really get loud. Now as well the motor on that unit often will do the same thing. I would bet the motor more so that anything else on this unit though since I have replaced hundreds on that unit for that issue.

CLICK HERE FOR PART

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me!.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Why would the motor fail on a machine just over 3 years old (built in April, 2013)?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you there?

Yes I am here your message just came through. The had issues with the windings on those motors and they fail a lot even in just a couple years.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
this is an established motor problem documented by GE for my particular Model in that established or time frame of manufacture, namely April, 2013? Just want to confirm as it is out of the normal warranty, and I'll want to strive for a goodwill warranty if the part was known to fail for units built in the time frame; similar to a factory recall on an automobile. Please reconfirm back that this was a known, documented problem for the motors on those models in that era. Thanks.

They have no recalls on it, GE has not documented any issue with the motors, they make cheap motors made in China and the windings often fail. I have been doing service work for 20+ years now and have stock that motor on my truck due to the premature failures. You can try to contact GE, but they often do not stand behind anything 1 day out of warranty.