Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Ihave a 13yr. old refrigerator that periodically gives me a

Customer Question

Ihave a 13yr. old refrigerator that periodically gives me a problem. The water dispenser
freezes up and have had a heater tube kit installed in 2005. It is a problem once again.
It's become too costly for repairs.
If all else fails, my question to you is....if I use icemaker only will the ice be contaminated as my tech that takes care of my appliances says because of mold inside of door.?
Hopefully you have some reasonably positive answers for me.
***@******.*** or (###) ###-####
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

The ice maker will not be contaminated at all. The lines are separate. He is right that if the dispenser is not used, the lines and tank will mold. However, it will not affect the ice at all.