Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair

We recently purchased a Kenmore refrigerator and the

Customer Question

We recently purchased a Kenmore refrigerator and the icemaker is no longer working. We checked the waterline, we made sure the temperature is set at 0 degrees and emptied the tray so that nothing was blocking the electric eye. What other troubleshooting should we do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

If you have not provided the model number of the unit you are needing help with please go ahead and supply that information to me now so that I can give you model specific information on that unit, if you have already provided the model number please give me a few minutes to prepare your answer as I may need to look up part numbers, schematics, etc; depending on your question.

Thank you for your patience. Also is this a new unit or did you buy it used, if new how long have you had it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We purchased the unit as new last year. The model # ***** ***** and it was built in May 2014.

ok I have uploaded the tech data sheet to my google drive for you to download, follow the directions on page 1 and put the unit into service diagnostic mode, then run test 15 to make sure the ice bin level sensor is operating properly if that passes the run test 25 to see if the unit puts water in the ice maker. let me know what happens, thanks.

click here to download/open tech data sheet

were you able to figure out the failure?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
According to #15, the bin is not full which is correct. According to #25, the icemaker valve is off. The directions indicate to press the water pad to initiate the water disperce, but nothing happens when I press 'Water' (SW1).

ok so that means that the water inlet valve on the unit needs to be replaced it has failed.

Refrigerator Water Inlet Valve

Part #: W10238100 - click here

We are on the honor system here. Since I have given you the initial answer please rate/vote by selecting a star at the top of the screen and any follow up questions you may have will be free of charge and of course I will continue to help if needed.

Rating me will does not affect what you agreed to pay for the question and will not have any affect on what you have already been billed for unless you request a phone call.

Feel free to get back to me with any questions you may have but in the meantime I would appreciate you going ahead and rating the answer as this is the only way I get compensated for my time, thanks!

After you have rated/voted the answer you will be sent an email with a link that will allow you to get back to me for any follow up questions free of charge it will not close the question.

Please Know: I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money. I am just a technician on the site that is here to help assist you and have nothing to do with billing.

When you rate/vote my answer you have to click on the star vote/rate system at the top of your screen. Typing I give you a 5 star rating in a message does absolutely nothing to help me you have to click on the rating system.

Thank You!

Tips are not expected but are greatly appreciated.

Hi there,
I was just getting back with you, I see the question is still open and I have not heard back from you is there something else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I ordered the part that you recommended and it should arrive within 14 days. I will respond after the icemaker becomes functional again.

ya thanks.