Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

VL 051-707 - extendable arm will not retract. Have tried

Customer Question

VL 051-707 - extendable arm will not retract. Have tried switching the mains power off and on but still doesn't descend into the closed position. This happened a couple of times this week and then it closed itself a few hours later - this time it is stuck in the raised position.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

There is likely a limit switch that is failing, likely due to grease built up in the switch.

May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Kelly - the model number is ***** here st the top of the question. It's Gaggenau VL 051-707. Graeme
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry, for some reason I overlooked that. The service manual is attached. Are you able to access the switches for testing and inspect the electrical connections on them and the main controller?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Kelly - I'm not in a position to access these at the moment as in on crutches for a few weeks following surgery. I've checked the filter at the top of the extensible arm and it's quite clean. I can try and get a local handyman to come in and check that for me next week. I realised when I was cleaning the arm that even when the control switch for the fan is in the 0 or off position that the fan is still running so now I'm inclined to think the issue maybe that it won't lower because the fan unit is still operating. The base fan unit is Gaggenau GB 031-707. Graeme
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

If it is set at 0 and still running, the main PCB likely has a welded relay. With the service manual I sent you, a handyman should be able to access it and check. I hope you recover quickly from your surgery!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi KellySo far the service has not been very useful. I am pretty sure that since the fan is still running it's an issue with the base unit and the manual you sent doesn't cover this device. Graeme
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Okay, perhaps another will be more useful to you. Keep that service manual, good luck.