Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.

I own some rental properties. One is about 2 1/2 hours away.

Customer Question

Hi, I own some rental properties. One is about 2 1/2 hours away. Not sure the brand but I will find out but I wanted to ask a general question. I just received an email from one of the tenants saying that he doesn't think the temperature control knob works and that it is only drying on hot, and the other temperatures seem to be unavailable. It is an older machine. Does this sound right? If so, what might be the cause of something like that?
Thanks, Andy
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly.

Well it could be, but one most dryers no matter what the temp selection says there are actually only two temps low and high...155 and if it is always hot I would say maybe the thermostat above the vent outport is the one that you would need to change out.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me! are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Is that typically an expensive or hard job vs. just buying a second-hand dryer online for maybe $175. I have some basic DIY skills.

It is not a bad job just remove the back panel and put a new one on. Also check the vent for blockages as that will cause the unit to overheat or be hot.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

One last question - if you were me would you just replace it and hope that is the answer or can you use some type of multi-meter reader to gauge output or something to make a determination that it is the thermostat?

I would just change it and clean the vent to the outside port it will correct any overtemp issues for sure.