applianceman25
applianceman25, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Lead technician
64001419

Viking BBQ keeps sparking. Even when the flame lights up. :

Customer Question

Viking BBQ keeps sparking. Even when the flame lights up.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Viking is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 10 years
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Vgbq5304re Yes
JA: Huh?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I changed the parts such as the sparker, the ignitor, the burners etc.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.

The ignition electrode, in addition to lighting the burner, acts as a flame proofer. To do this job, it needs to be heated to glowing by the burner flame, so the control will know it's safe to keep the gas valve open. If you don't see the electrode glowing orange, gently bend it to increase the flame presence, until it does glow. If this doesn't solve the problem, please let me know.

Using the expert's star rating scale, please click the star that expresses your satisfaction with my response. I'm not paid, until you rate my service.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's not that. Perhaps the wiring?
It's aerge 6 burner BBQ. Two spark units. Left side and right side.
Each sparker unit does three burners.
I replaced the ignitor and the sparker unit on the right. The sparker unit on the right that I replaced is giving me the issue. I actually changed it because of the same issue so I guess it's not the sparker!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.

I'm sorry. I'm not able to phone you. I'll opt out for an expert who can.

Expert:  applianceman25 replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is***** see if we can figure out what is going on. Did the spark module change color from white to blue or did they send you a new white one?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
White

Sorry left the computer for a bit. If one of the wires got crossed on the module you would get this affect. There are numbers and letters on the module. So whatever wire comes from the center burner should go on the same number on the way out or you will get the same affect as having a bad module. Make sure that one lines up with one and two lines up with two and so on. Also make sure that four is grounded well will cause the same affect.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok will look again
What about the black wires to the ignitors?
Is there any order for those?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I followed the wires and it is ok but sometimes it just starts sparking again here and there. What would be the reason?