Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair

GE 500 dishwasher does not clean dishes : hold on pleasr :

Customer Question

GE 500 dishwasher does not clean dishes
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: hold on pleasr
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: QD500X 6AW
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have home warranty but if minor then I might di it my self
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

Whenever a dishwasher is not cleaning the dishes properly it means either there is not enough water in the unit or the water is not being circulated properly in the unit. When you start a cycle after it fills open the door and make sure the water level is just below the bottom of the float. If its not it needs a new water inlet valve installed.

If the water level is sufficient then it may not be circulating the water correctly because its stopped up and needs to be cleaned out so try cleaning the filters and spray arms, here is a video that shows how - click here

If everything is cleaned and there is plenty of water in the unit and it still is not cleaning the dishes, it may be that the circulation pump is bad and is no longer able to circulate the water properly in the unit. During a cycle open the door on the dishwasher and see if you can tell if water is being sprayed around pretty good, should see water dripping from top of dishwasher and off the tip rack etc; if not then the circulation pump will need to be replaced.

If you have any more questions let me know, in the meantime:

We are on the honor system here. Since I have given you the initial answer please rate/vote by selecting a star at the top of the screen and any follow up questions you may have will be free of charge and of course I will continue to help if needed.

Rating me will does not affect what you agreed to pay for the question and will not have any affect on what you have already been billed for unless you request a phone call.

Feel free to get back to me with any questions you may have but in the meantime I would appreciate you going ahead and rating the answer as this is the only way I get compensated for my time, thanks!

After you have rated/voted the answer you will be sent an email with a link that will allow you to get back to me for any follow up questions free of charge it will not close the question.

Please Know: I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money. I am just a technician on the site that is here to help assist you and have nothing to do with billing.

When you rate/vote my answer you have to click on the star vote/rate system at the top of your screen. Typing I give you a 5 star rating in a message does absolutely nothing to help me you have to click on the rating system.

Thank You!

Tips are not expected but are greatly appreciated.

Hi there,
I was just getting back with you, I see the question is still open and I have not heard back from you is there something else I can help you with?