John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company

We have several of the Bosch on demand hotwater heaters in

Customer Question

We have several of the Bosch on demand hotwater heaters in our Boy Scout camp. They are in campsites with out electricity, thus they have the hydrogenerator to start the heating process. We have a couple that are giving us issues. Is there a way to test thehydrogenerator so that we know if it is functional or needs to be replaced. Like, can you put an Ohm meter on certain pins and see if it is working? Any help would be appreciated!
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Bosch is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: They are about 10 years old. I don't know the model number of the unit. However the part number for the Hydrogenerator is 8 707207 175. Does that help?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: We have a great company to service these, but I hate to call them everytime we have a blip. If it is something we can at least attempt to fix that would be most helpful.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Our Camp Ranger makes sure that the units are clear of bird nest and other debris. They generally have given us good service.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

The best way to check the hydrogenerator output is to listen to the burner gas valve to see if it opens, when the hot water tap is opened. You can also check for voltage at the gas valve solenoid terminals. If you hear nothing and don't find any voltage, you need to replace the hydrogenerator. Be sure, also, that the burners are free of debris accumulations. Air flow blockage will keep them from lighting off.

Using the expert's star rating scale, please click the star that expresses your satisfaction with my response.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.