John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

What causes Miele G2142 SCU to quit during various cycles

Customer Question

JA:

How long have you been dealing with this?

Customer:

Got a problem w/our Miele G2142 SCU (quits in various stages of the cycle). Is that something you know about?

JA:

Have you tried power cycling the appliance -- unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer:

I could try that. I had somebody out here who supposedly serviced this unit but his servicing did nothing to fix the issue. He as on the phone w/Miele and presume they did a reset, but I don't know that for sure. I've got the unit out, it runs sometimes for several minutes then quits (blinking red light), sometimes it quits soon after start up. It ran OK for the last couple of days but not the problem is back. I've disconnected both ends of the drain line and confirmed it's clear. It does appear that it's not draining well which is to say there is very little pressure when the machine does drain.

JA:

Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Customer:

Yes.

JA:

Anything else we should know to help you best?

Customer:

It makes a sort of clicking sound when I presume it's trying to drain, but I don't remember that sound happening when the machine is operating properly.

Category: Appliance
Expert:  applianceman25 replied 1 year ago.

That unit inside underneath the filter is a small part called a non return valve. It will be on the left side of the sump area and have a tab that sticks up. You should be able to grab that tab and pull towards the center of the tub. Remove that valve there should be a metal ball and rubber gasket inside. Make sure there is no debris in that or underneath the drain pump impeller. Glass is hard to see in water so be careful and use a small screwdriver to remove any debris in the sump area. If the seal is worn out you will need to order a new non return for that unit. Calling Miele directly is the only way to get the part.