John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

I brought a Whirlpool Hybird at my local Lowes in 2010. I've

Customer Question

I brought a Whirlpool Hybird at my local Lowes in 2010. I've had nothing but trouble with it since. It constantly reads "water system failure and circuit breaker pops on occasion. Until recently when It popped and will not work at all. In looking at it, The plumber that installed it grounded it to a plastic box inside the top of the tank. Not that knowledgeable about electric, but I know enough to know you can not ground anything against a plastic electric box inside the top of this tank. Is there a diagram somewhere that displays proper wiring procedures??
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 4 months ago.

The wire you just ran should have a bare copper wire. Just connect the ground wire from water heater to this wire. If you leave the heater set to heat pump only ( the most efficient setting ) does it trip the breaker then or only when it's set for the heat elements to also come on ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There is no ground wire visible. The installer grounded it to the plastic box and there is no setting to set it to heat pump. This is one of the first hybird. Got my sears home warranty coming out to test it.

If you ran 10-2 wire to this unit it should have a bare copper conductor inside the romex besides the black and white wires or black and red.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Some expert and I was charged $37. Not 24 and didn't get the answer I was looking for. I found out that the idiot that installed this in 2010 ground it to the plastic box as their is not ground wire included with the two power wires. Sears home warranty came out and said my $1500.00 investment was fried, it immediately trips the breaker. Good luck trying to track him down after all this time and 6 months late for manufacturers warranty. I believe that was only 6 years from what I read. So you might say I am very dis-satisfied with the answers I got and request a refund.

You asked how to correctly wire this unit and I told you wire the bare copper wire on the wire you ran to the ground wire ( the green wire ) of the water heater. What kind of answer were you looking for ??