Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

The door handle on our microwave oven model khms155lss4

Customer Question

The door handle on our microwave oven model khms155lss4 broke. How do I repair it. The parts picture you have does not show the two screws on the side of the microwave door. Do those have to come out first?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Good morning Steve. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your microwave today. First, the handle you'll need to order is part number(###) ###-####just to make sure you got the correct part. As for replacing the handle, yes you need to open the door and remove the 2 screws on the side of the microwave door, then everything is clipped into place which you'll need to pry on with a putty knife or flat head screwdriver to release. Below is a video that shows you how the door comes apart although it doesn't have the 2 screws coming in from the side like yours does so be sure to remove those screws first.

CLICK HERE for video

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The part number listed by Kitchen Aid is Ps556624, I assume I should order new screws for the handle?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

I've never needed new screws. The receptacles on the handle just strip out usually. Ps556624 is the old part number, but below is the handle it crosses to now.

CLICK HERE for handle

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I found the Ps55624 on line assume it should work, the screw looked broken on the top
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Yes, that part will work---it's the same part. If the screw looked broken then I would order it and replace it. I'm not sure how a metal screw would break since it screws into a plastic receptacle, but you can see it more clearly than I can since I'm not there so I would order whatever you think is damaged.