Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My microwave will not heat food or anything. It did this

Customer Question

My microwave will not heat food or anything. It did this last week and when I asked my son to try it, it worked. Two days later it is happening again.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your microwave today. Does the turntable still rotate and does the unit still sound and look like it's running? It just doesn't heat?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

OK thank you. If the microwave still looks and sounds like it's working, but it's just not heating--that means your magnetron has likely failed. The magnetron is the part that actually creates the microwave to heat the food and it commonly goes bad and rarely gives a warning sometimes it'll come back and work and then stop again. The part itself costs about $150 so depending on the condition of the microwave, it may be better to just replace the microwave rather than repair it. Also, it will require you to un-install the entire microwave and remove the outer shell in order to access the magnetron for replacement so if you called a technician out it would be another $150 for trip and labor.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.