Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have A noisy evaporator/fan motor in my profile side by

Customer Question

I have A noisy evaporator/fan motor in my profile side by side refrigerator (Freezer side) sounds like the fan propeller is actually striking the plastic cover over the area of the motor. When I pull against the plastic cover the noise/ contact stops. Could the mounting bracket for the motor be the problem, loosing screws etc. or is the motor itself on its way out. The refrigerator is approximately 12 and half years old.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

Typically the issue is the fan blade itself slipping on the shaft and pushing out too far over time. You'll want to pull everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel inside the freezer so you can see the fan. Push the blade further onto the shaft if it has slide down. If not, then you may want to use some 2 sided tape or foam tape and put it between the fan bracket and the back panel so when you re-install the back panel it lessens the vibration so it doesn't make noise anymore. Tighten any screws that might be loose, but if you can stop the noise by pulling against the plastic cover and the sound stops---this isn't a problem with the fan motor itself. It's just a vibration issue so you may have to do a few things to remove the vibration which I mentioned before.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do you have the schematic indicating the screws and covers in the freezer to access the fan unit?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

I can show you a parts breakdown and show the panel I'm talking about but I need the full model number located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator section or on a tag down near the bottom hinge of the refrigerator.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
PSS26MGPBBB Ge Profile side by side
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

Perfect, thank you. So below is the breakdown diagram

CLICK HERE for diagram

Unplug the unit and remove the light cover 258 on the diagram. Then remove the screws going into part 213 and remove this panel. If the side rails that support the shelves are in the way, remove all the support rails on one side of the freezer to pull this panel out. After that panels out just remove the cover 167 and you'll have access to the fan motor.