Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Have a Jenn Air Bottom Freezer (model JBR2086HES), which is

Customer Question

have a Jenn Air Bottom Freezer (model JBR2086HES), which is malfunctioning and I'm looking for general troubleshooting. The compressor is starting, but stops after few seconds. Any thoughts much appreciated.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

If the compressor starts after just a few seconds of trying, then it means that your compressor is overloading and shutting down. This could be a weak overload/relay or it could be a bad compressor. This model is fairly well known for the compressor failing if it was made by Tecumseh. You'll want to pull the refrigerator forward and remove the lower back access panel. Look at the sticker on the big black round compressor and see if it says Tecumseh or Embraco. If it says Tecumseh, you're going to need a new compressor. If it says Embraco, I'd start by replacing the overload relay because the compressor itself rarely fails. The overload relay is the plastic box parts attached to the side of the compressor where all the wires connect to the compressor.

Also, sometimes if the compressor is starting to go bad you can unplug the refrigerator for a couple hours and let the compressor cool down and the piston will unjam and start working again until it warms up and sticks in a couple days/weeks.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?