George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  Senior Service & Technical Manager at Allsorts Recycling & Appliance Repairs

I thought my motor on my dryer was bad so I replaced it with

Customer Question

I thought my motor on my dryer was bad so I replaced it with a new one. When I press the start button it hums but does not turn. I checked the thermal cut out switch with a multimeter and it shows good. What could be the problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly.

What is the model number?

Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 4 months ago.

Hello Daniel, my name is George,

Do you have the actual model number of the dryer please

The problem you have is indicative of a bad motor drive capacitor.. That is the large capacitor connected to the side of the motor.

Check to see if you have replaced the wiring on the capacitor correctly or change the capacitor

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
a brand new motor has a bad capacitor? Maybe I will check the plug..what about the timer switch, I didn't think it was bad but if it was the motor would not hum would it?

Did the capacitor come with the new motor? and was it connected by plug?

If the answer is yes to both of those questions then check the supply wiring.

In response to the question regarding the hum.... You can test the theory.. Turn the appliance on, then assist the drum with a turn by hand. If the drum continues to spin, then the problem is with the capacitor. The purpose of the capacitor is to give the motor an initial boost (similar to the starter motor on a car).

The motor would only hum if it was jammed or if the capacitor were faulty or not powered

If you can tell me the model of the dryer I can tell whether the capacitor is at the motor or up behind the controls..