Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My refrigerator isn't cooling.

Customer Question

My refrigerator isn't cooling.
Submitted: 9 months ago via ApplianceRepair.Net.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

1. Can you hear a fan running in the freezer section? Can you see any frost on the back wall inside the freezer?
  2. May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Regarding the frost, there wasn't any, but there was a huge chunk of ice that I melted. I did before, but I melted it in the freezer. So now the freezer is working. But the fridge isn't cold.The model is maytag MTB 1956GE
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Have you removed the rear panel from inside the freezer to get a look at the coil behind it?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Coil?
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Yes, the evaporator coil behind the rear panel inside the freezer. Number 2 in the diagram at the link below is the rear panel. Can you remove it to access the evaporator (number 14) to see if it is all frosted?

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yea I did that. Not frosted
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Okay, is that fan running up there?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yup. The freezer seems fine.
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

If that fan is running and no frost is on the coil, then the issue is with the air damper control, number 11 in the diagram at the link below. Is that control turned all the way up? If so, turn it down and feel if the air flow increases to the refrigerator.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is at about 8 out of 9
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Oh, turn that down to about 2, the air damper control. That should solve the issue.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm sorry I was talking about the wrong one. The air damper control should be at 2? I had to step away for a moment, but I would like to check it when I return. Is there something else that might be the issue?
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

The damper should be at about 2, yes. Do you feel any air flow difference?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No air flow really
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

If you look in that hole between the two sections at the bottom of that chute, is it clear?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's a little frosty...in the fridge part. Not the freezer.
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Enough to block air flow?