Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

Ffgf3023lbc oven won't work but stove top does pilot

Customer Question

ffgf3023lbc oven won't work but stove top does
pilot comes on for top and bottom but will not ignite (burner?)
top was the first to go out for the broiler but now the bottom will not, preventing us from using oven at all
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

1. No broil or bake in the oven?
  2. Are you allowing at least 90 seconds after turning on for ignition?
  3. Do you see the igniters glowing?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
both igniters will glow bright for extended periods, at least five mins last try and still no flames.
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Thank you. If you look at the picture of the regulator at the link below, on the right, there is a little flip lever. If you move that little lever to the opposite position of where it is on your range, does the oven then light?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
as far as i can tell, lever has only two positions.
It was in the what i perceive to be up. it is now down where i can now read the top of the lever where is reads "down for off ".
I had to use pliers to pull into that position, it flips right back easy to the (on?) position without pliers.
In this position the stove still comes on but the oven does not for either broiler (top) or the oven (lower).
I tried to send pictures but the files are too big (5mb limit)
I left both on for 5 mins.
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

I don't suppose you have a clamp on ammeter to test current draw, do you?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
yeah, where would i test that? my amp meter may be too big. it has a 40 400 800 amp setting but on the lowest setting im getting no movement off the power cord.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
this is by the way with broiler on.
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Can you clip on just one of the igniter wires?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
not sure, i assume i should keep the regulator lever in the position that i mentioned earlier.
i'll take off the bottom plate and attempt to get a current reading but in the mean time doesn't the ignitors lighting up indicate load?
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Well, the igniters need to draw at least 3.1 amps through the valve bimetal to open the valve. So, even though they glow, they may be too weak to open the valve. If they are drawing 3.2 ro above, the valve is faulty. If they draw less than that, they need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i got to 2.6amps before i panicked because it was burning my clamp. tight quarters.
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

I suspect the igniters are weak and will need to be replaced. That is much more likely than two faulty valves. I would replace the igniters.