Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a KSF26C4xyy02 and it won't dispense ice when the

Customer Question

I have a KSF26C4xyy02 and it won't dispense ice when the door is closed....if I open the freezer and push in the ice door switch it dispenses fine.
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have tried adding padding to the switch to see if the door was not contacting it enough but didn't work.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have replaced both switches in the freezer
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

Unfortunately your symptom is very odd and can only be caused by a bad door switch or a bad main control board not reading the switch properly. If the switches have been replaced and you didn't miswired them, then the only possibility is a faulty control board. The main control board is on the back of the refrigerator behind an access panel. The part number is ***** for your unit.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks. If it is a faulty control board then why does manually pushing in the switch make it work?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

I guess I misunderstood you. If it works when you manually push the switch but not when you close the door, then either the switch is bad or the door isn't hitting the switch good enough. That wouldn't be a control board issue. You may have to add some shims to the bottom door hinge to raise the door up or put some sort of bumper on the door so it pushes the door switch further when the door is closed because the padding you were using isn't working.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I added 1/4" thick bumper to the switch still did not work.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
when I opened the door and checked the bumper it had been compressed down.....
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I checked around the door when it was closed for alignment and it looks even with the refrigerator door and the seal looks good too....not deformed no leaks....also I check to make sure nothing inside was getting in the way.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
for a bumper I used layers of industrial doublestick tape....
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

Tape the door switch down and does the door work when the door is open and closed?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok...one minute
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

ok

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok...so when I taped the switch flat it didn't work......but when I push the switch it does work...and I don't even have to push the switch flat I can leave the switch up a tiny bit when I push it in manually and it still works.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
tried pushing the light switch button as well to see if that was causing and that made no difference.....up or down..
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

You just have a bad switch. Your switch came faulty and it's too sensative at what position it needs to be pushed in. You just need to return it and get a new one.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok, I will try that too....
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
not sure how to do the rating since I won't know for a week if you were correct?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

If you tape the switch and it won't work but you push it and it does, it's very simple---the switch is just bad. Just replace it and you'll be good to go again. Typically you rate now since I have given you my time but the question remains open so you can ask follow-up question later if needed.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok...thanks
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

good luck.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello Again......the second new switch did not fix the problem. when I shut the door no ice...when I manually push the switch in the ice dispenser works.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just got the second new switch today.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
that is two new switches I have put in......I also tested the switch with a multi-meter for continuity and it works from partially pressed to all the way down....