Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Whirlpool refrigerator - Model no. GS6SHAXMQ00 Day 1: Upon

Customer Question

Whirlpool refrigerator - Model no. GS6SHAXMQ00
Day 1: Upon opening door, interior light made a popping sound and went out, followed by a rattling/ buzzing noise from somewhere low and toward the front of the unit.
Checked bulb, and it was burnt out. Rattle-buzz continued while door is open. Depressing light switch, made it stop. Fridge seems to be operating normally. Put a piece of tape over switch to quiet the noise.
Day 2: Purchased & installed new bulb, but light still not working. Tested new bulb, it is good. Removed tape from switch, noise is gone. Unit still seems to be cooling properly, but lighting circuit in cabinet does not fucntion. Light in freezer is operating properly.
What could be causing the issue with the cabinet light?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly.

Answer:

With that model this is just wired standard 120 from the power to the unit through the light switch to the light bulbs. It does not connect to the board or anything. So you may have a bad wiring connection somewhere down low possibly. You should check the door switch and see if it is bad and then try to find the source of the noise a wire may be burned out or shorting out causing the noise.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me!.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!