Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My maytag neptune which I LOVE won't spin anything heavy

Customer Question

My maytag neptune which I LOVE won't spin anything heavy such as towels. I have been able to in the past. The bearing sounds perfect.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Not only is it not spinning out but it is full of water. This is the first that I have had problems in almost 15 years.
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Appliance Technician should be aware of?
Customer: I don't think so...seems rather 'simple'...won't spin and not so much not balanced but won't empty water and spin out. As I said, this is a new situation that I'm experiencing.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Do you have a model number so I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker just inside the door way or on a sticker on the back of the control panel on the far left.

Also, when the washer should be spinning and it's not, does it just sort of rotate back and forth but never gets up to high speed spin?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No it sits in 'stall' type situation. I just ran another load of clothing, no towel, and it is functioning normally. As I said I have always washed towels in with other pieces being mindful of not too many, etc.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello, are you there?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

If the unit spins smoothly then either your motor/motor control board isn't reading the load correctly and it thinks it's too heavy to spin out, or more likely the out of balance switch mounted to the top of the tub is going out and triggering too easily telling the washer it's out of balance. As far as the motor/motor control board, it's sold as a kit with both parts so it really doesn't matter which one of those two is bad. But there is another more likely possibility. The ball bearing out of balance switch gets triggered when it thinks the load is out of balance. This is a really common issue as the washer gets older because the ball bearing has hit the switch so many times over the years that the switch gets weak and triggers too easily. So I would suggest replacing the ball bearing out of balance switch first since neither of these issue are really testable since they haven't failed completely and the switch is much cheaper than the motor kit.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Below is a link to the switch you'd need to order and replace for your model.

CLICK HERE for switch

And below is a video that will help you take the washer apart so you can replace the switch.

CLICK HERE for video

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?