Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Maytag Neptune dryer looks like E5 error code (top line of E

Customer Question

Maytag Neptune dryer looks like E5 error code (top line of E is missing). Can you tell me what this means?
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: It won't run at all. As soon as you turn it on, that code appears
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Appliance Technician should know?
Customer: Model # *****
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

This error E5 is supposed to look like "tS" It means that your thermistor sensor has failed on your dryer. This sensor is mounted to the blower vent below the dryer drum. Below is a link to the part.

CLICK HERE for sensor

You'll need to take the dryer completely apart to access this part. That means you'll need to remove the top panel, the control panel, and the front panel in order to see it. If you have a multimeter you can test the sensor. Below is a video on how to do so.

CLICK HERE for video

If the sensor is bad, replace it. If the sensor checks good then make sure the wires between the sensor and the control board are not damaged and if that all checks out---replace the main relay control board because it's not reading the sensor properly.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.