Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Thermador range keeps clicking after lit : need a seasoned

Customer Question

thermador range keeps clicking after lit
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: need a seasoned thermador range tech
JA: Is there anything else the Appliance Technician should be aware of?
Customer: lighting any or all 6 burners work fine , once lit they keep clicking, only 1 burner once lit will stop the others from clicking
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly.

Answer:

If it does that on all burners you have a failed ignition control module, the feedback part of the module is not working to stop the clicking. You can try to use some fine sand paper and clean off all the electrode tips and then try it. If it still does that replace the ignition module. Most Thermador units have the control module under the burners so you have to take the top off the unit.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me!.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ive replaced the spark module and the simmer control module and with new potetiometers, checked the ground on the spark module and checked all knob switchees for function

What is the complete model off the unit? There have been some bulletins regarding grounding and also has this just started to become an issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
prg366us only 1 of the burners of 6 will stop the sparking once lit.. center front..

Did they all start doing this at once? Also can you upload a pic of the burners with electrodes in the pic?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can send you a video of it in action to your phone..

I can not accept a phone text site rules you could upload a video here of it or a link to a video.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
basically as you light each burner one by one they all light fine but keep sparking even with 5 of the 6 burning it keeps clicking.. when you light the 6th burner center front the clicking stops. could 5 ignitors fail
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i bought it with the problem and sold it on ebay thinking it would be an easy fix.. now way late and customer is complaining to ebay..

Ok were the electrodes dirty or corroded at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
little on the spring on the bottom but the spade plug was fairly clean, removed and replaced to make contact and no change yet.. can they be tested, sorry they all spark fine so they work.. could there be an issue with feedback resistance, from what i understand they read the oxidation in the flame?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was happening to the prior owner in a church kit*****, *****e happens here and i'm pretty sure my shop is not earth grounded . should i run it off a generator or something that is self grounded? the 1 working burner throws me off though

The electrodes are the issue, they have to be super clean no corrosion and the burners have to be seated 100% correctly so the flame is actually contacting the electrode. I often find the burners are dirty, not seated and the flame is not contacting the electrode head. Further a dirty electrode or anything corroded on it will cause that issue. Now note the polarity to the unit has to be correct or you will also have that issue and yes the ground has to be good where it is connected as well. IF you check all those things you will not have that issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why does one burner shut off correctly.. is that the only functioning electrode return path? and why would it work and not the others if it is building wiring?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
burners are immaculate . electrode tops are immaculate, spring that has corrosion is just a tensioner correct? the tip of the electrode is a straight pin hammered flat to a spade so if the spade section is clean it should be fine?

The one that is working is getting the feedback to the module. Have them use sandpaper and sand the tips all down and make sure the flame is contacting the electrode...physically look at it and see. A dirty orifice can cause a weak flame as well. They should remove the top burner caps and use a paper clip and put it in each orifice and clean them out as well and try it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they are as new clean
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THANKS FOR THE HELP, IM THE OWNER / TECH AND VERY MECHANICALLY INCLINED
how often do they fail? looks like it cant fail unless maybe the porcelain is broken for a spark loss?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IS IT HEAT OR RESISTANCE THAT MAKES THEM SHUT OFF THE MODULE?

They produce microamps to shut the module off typically 3 microamps

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
GENERATED FROM THE FLAME ?

Yes the electrode tip generates a microamp feedback signal from the flame correct