Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a lg SxS refrigerator about 10 yrs old. After

Customer Question

I have a lg SxS refrigerator about 10 yrs old. After changing the water filter, it just stopped running. The manual troubleshooting, as one solution, suggests refrigerator control is off, and to see setting the controls. There is no other reference in manual as to how to set controls. Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

Do you have a model number so I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator section.

Also what do you mean by "just stopped running"? Is the refrigerator and freezer section not cooling? Do the lights inside some on when you open the door? Is the unit 100% silent? And how long has it been this way?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Model no. LSC26905 . Neither refrigerator or freezer are cooling. No lights, yes 100 percent silent. Happened late yesterday afternoon.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

OK unfortunately only 1 thing can cause that if you're sure the refrigerator is getting power from your house---your main control board on the back of the unit has failed and would need to be replaced. Turning the unit off would still leave the lights working like normal. You'll need the last 2 letters of your model (which are missing from your partial model) to make sure you order the correct board, but below is a link to the board that is usually needed for your model.

CLICK HERE for control board

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Why would this happen?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

It can happen from power fluctuations from your house but honestly it's probably from nothing at all other than poor manufacturing. Any technician that works on LG refrigerators has seen his/her fair share of these boards going out. I personally have seen hundreds that fail in this exact same way---just not a robust part.