George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  Senior Service & Technical Manager at Allsorts Recycling & Appliance Repairs
19471162

A technician has installed a new motherboard in our GE

Customer Question

a technician has installed a new motherboard in our GE profile side by side refrigerator (model number pcg21mimafbb).
This model has single digit temperature displays (0-9) and only the +- buttons for each fridge & freezer.
Since the install, both temperature displays show flashing zeros.
Pressing a minus button shows two fives, but then these disappear after 10 seconds or when the door is closed and it goes back to two flashing zeros.
When it shows the 5s, we can get it into diagnostic mode by holding all four buttons, however we can't get it to accept any test codes - all the manuals I've found say to press another button to get it to accept the code, but there aren't any extra buttons. So the screen just resets back to flashing zeros after 10 or so seconds.
Help?? Thanks :)
Category: Appliance
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 6 months ago.

Hello Brad, my name is George,

Can I ask the reason for the replacement motherboard?

Also, this sounds like a board lockout... Switch the appliance off at the wall and unplug it for an hour, then plug it in and wait for 20mins before trying to set it. This should reset the board and chase any gremlins.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi George,Thanks for your reply! A power surge went through the neighbourhood last week - it blew phone chargers, dishwasher, coffee machine, the whole lot. Fortunately the waffle maker still works - no fridge/freezer is tolerable, but no waffles would've been disastrous.While the technician knew how to install the motherboard (it seems...), he misses out on full marks 'cause he had no idea how to finish the job... 7/10.The new motherboard appears to be working - fridge and freezer both going again, water dispenser working (still waiting to see if ice dispenser makes it's first batch of ice...). Just can't set the desired temperature...We've unplugged it for about 20 mins and tried again - will give it the full hour this time, unless you think the 20 minutes should've sorted it?Thanks

Unfortunately a technician can only do what he is asked to do...

First I would try what I have suggested regarding resetting the electrics on the board and then we can look at it thereafter if that turns out not to be the problem..

Having said that, if the technician has replaced the board but this is not working correctly, then really you should recall him to check his installation.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Great, thanks! He was here half the day today fiddling with it, but left none the wiser. He thought the new board might need setting up somehow, but had no idea how to do it, so said he'd ask his friends for ideas... he didn't seem like he knew much about it (note to future self, don't always trust Google reviews), so I started my new career as a (very) amateur technician.I had a play and found the diagnostic mode (there can't be too many options with only four buttons to choose from, right?), then managed to track down a user manual for a similar model:
Page 33-35: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzIiBNwRIV4NNGNHWlVKTE5HOWs/viewThe bit where I got stuck says "When a test code has been entered, the displays will flash to confirm the test. Press the HOLD button for 3 seconds to begin the test" as we don't have a hold button...And that's where I drew stumps and came to ask the experts :)The technician was certain earlier today that his installation was perfect, but as you say - definitely still an option. Would prefer to avoid recalling him if at all possible... this is his third trip and still nothing. But I'm quite comfortable with tearing computers to pieces so my next plan of attach was to wreak havoc in amongst the back, if I can get a little guidance on what I might be looking for.Will update you with progress when the time has elapsed. Thanks!

If the board needed setting up for your appliance he should have done that at the time, as that is what you have paid him for..

I will have a quick look to see if I can see anything in the manual that you have posted the link for that relates to your issue.. but I don't hold out much hope as this should be done onsite and at the time of install.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yep our thoughts exactly! Oh well, we'll have to do our best without him.Time is up and unfortunately we're back to where we were - flashing zeros and not being able to set the temp. Was that manual of any help?

Does this make any sense on your appliance?

Enter the diagnostic mode by pressing both the freezer temperature (COLDER and WARMER) pads and the refrigerator temperature (COLDER and WARMER) pads simultaneously.

All four pads must be held for approximately 3 seconds.

Blinking "0"s in both displays indicate the refrigerator has entered the test mode.

Remove fingers within 5 seconds and press any middle pad to lock-in the test mode.

The blinking "0"s will change over to solid (non-blinking) "0"s when the test mode is locked in.

You can now test specific components using the chart.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Nope - the temp controls inside the refrigerator door only have - & + either side of each temp display.The water/ice dispenser has a lock button top left, but these seem to operate totally independent of the temp controls.I'll attach pics of the controls shortly.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
pics here

Does COLDER and WARMER refer to +&-

Try holding all four pads for 3 seconds

Let me know

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry did you edit your earlier message there at all? I'm sure your question was whether there's a lock button on the left... how odd.Yes that's how I've been entering diagnostic mode - holding all four buttons. I described this all in my initial message :)This displays the blinking zeros. Then pressing any of the buttons makes the numbers go solid zeros (we don't have a middle pad as per your description, only the four temp buttons).The left number can then change between 0 and 1, the right number 0 - 9 - i.e. it's in diagnostic mode. But there's no button to lock in the chosen test code, all we can do is change between the numbers with no end game.After 5 seconds of inactivity (or 20 seconds of aimlessly changing the numbers) the display shuts off completely, with nothing shown. Any button press will take us back to square one with the blinking zeros again, at which point we have to press minus to display two solid fives, from where we can hold all four buttons to take us back to the blinking zeros of diagnostic mode.If we leave it on the fives (or change them to any other number - both displays can be set to 0-9 at this stage, as if we were setting the temp), it only lasts until we close the fridge door. When the door is reopened, the blinking zeros of doom have reappeared!

I have emailed my contact at GE to see if they still have a copy of the manual for this appliance model.. Unfortunately this is an old 2001 model so we may be out of luck. But nothing tried nothing gained.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Awesome, thanks very much! It's well past bedtime so I'm checking out for the night, let me know when you hear back or if you find anything else :)

Sorry Brad, they have informed me that they do not have a copy of the instructions for your model..

But suffice to say that the issue that you are having is just with the procedure rather than a fault, and as I said before, the installer should have remedied this at the point of install.

If you give Andy-co a ring.. they are near to you in Australia, they may still have a copy of the directions for this particular product, or someone may remember the sequence. Below are their details:

Andi-co Australia

*****br />Oakleigh
Victoria, 3166
Tel: +61 03 9569 1255***@******.***

.

Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 5 months ago.

Please take the time to rate my assistance using the stars provided at the top of the page, as it is the only way I get credited for responding to you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi George, thanks for your message. We're still trying to fix the fridge. Once the problem is solved I'll rate your answer based on how much your replies helped us solve the issue, but at the moment we're no further ahead than what we'd already worked out for ourselves. I appreciate your effort trying to follow up with GE and providing the contact details for Andy-co :)

Ok Brad.. As you can imagine.. With no updates of the problems furtherance, nor no further queries or requests for further assistance it is hard to gauge if the subject has just been forgotton or not.

kindest regards

The query you made has now timed-out

Please reciprocate the assistance I gave you, by taking the time to rate my assistance using the stars provided at the top of the page.