Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Sears Refrig/ Freezer (Mod 106.51173310) and the

Customer Question

I have a Sears Refrig/ Freezer (Mod 106.51173310) and the icemaker doesn't make ice. The filter needs to be replaced yet I can get water through the spigot on the water dispenser in the door of the freezer. I don't understand why it doesn't make ice unless there is something wrong with the icemaker or the water line to it. The refrig is 2 yrs. old.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

Good morning! My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your refrigerator today. First, the filter doesn't have anything to do with the problem because that would affect the water dispenser as well. Probably the best thing to do is remove the kick panel below the freezer door and disconnect the water line that goes up through the hinge. Blow through the water line to make sure it's clear all the way up to the icemaker---if not then the water line froze just above the icemaker and will need to be thawed out. If it's clear, you'll still want to remove the ice bucket and the plastic housing around the icemaker at the top of the door so open the door and remove those to expose the icemaker. Use a hair dryer to thaw out the icemaker as well as the fill tub above the icemaker if it's frozen. Then just manually fill up the icemaker with a cup and give the refrigerator 24 hours and see if it makes ice. If the water line is clear and the icemaker was thawed out so it wasn't jammed or frozen, then the icemaker has failed and would need to be replaced. If it dumps the ice and doesn't refill with water, then you need a new dual electronic water valve because it's not sending water to the icemaker.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.