Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

We have a relatively new GE 5 burner "profile" top burner.

Customer Question

We have a relatively new GE 5 burner "profile" cook top burner. One of the cooktop burner "electrodes" ignites or sparks an inch and one half below the stove top and
fails to light the burner? the burner can be lit with a match but the spark lighter does not reach the light point!!!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

If the spark is coming out through the wire below the cooktop, you can either replace the ignition wire, or just use electrical tape and wrap that wire and bottom part of the electrode in electrical tape. The spark is jumping out of the wire early because it found an area with weak insulation so if you just add more insulation with electrical tape it should resolve the issue.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.