Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

How are you doing today : Great I have a kenmore pilot free

Customer Question

Hello how are you doing today
JA: I'm good. And you?
Customer: Great I have a kenmore pilot free ignition wall unit model no(###) ###-####that won't turn on
JA: Glad to hear it. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: It won't turn on doesn't light I guess trying to figure out the problem so I can fix it
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Appliance Technician should know?
Customer: I tried replacing I believe it was the ignitor on it and still nothing
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

Do you have a meter to test voltage with?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Somewhere but not on me why?
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Well, we need to see if we are losing the voltage to the igniter from the control or the neutral from the valve. One of those two things has failed if the igniter is new and still will not light up.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When I put the ignitor in could the wires be on backwards?
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

No, they are not polarity specific.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok when I get it what do I have to check?
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

You will want to remove the wire from the gas valve that one of the igniter leads go to. That is the neutral. If you have 120 VAC from the other igniter wire to ground (any metal on the oven), then the valve is faulty. If no voltage, then the control is faulty.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok so you are telling me I have to take it apart leave one wire connected and one not connect the tester to the metal of the oven and one to the wire still connected if shows 120 the valve is faulty if not the control is and how do I get the part if the valve is faulty and same if it's the control
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

That is exactly right. The control is showing as no longer available, as is the valve. See the link below. It may be time to consider replacing the appliance...

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Trying not to if we don't have to
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

It may be a wiring issue, once you get a look at the voltages, we will know more.