bonzaco
bonzaco,
Experience:  Owner at Dales Electronic
26760916

The dishwasher smells bad--found small bits of food residue

Customer Question

The dishwasher smells bad--found small bits of food residue under plastic filter screenWhen cleaned out and re-run, the smell went away. So what to do to keep the food particles from collecting?
Model # *****
Category: Appliance
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

The only thing you can do is rinse the plates off before you put them in the dishwasher. Use a high temperature was from time to time and check and clean the filters a least once a week. Finally hang a deodorizer such as the following on the top basket --

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electrolux-Dishwasher-Deodoriser-Genuine-4055047007/dp/B00I5R9GFK/ref=sr_1_cc_4?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1465155762&sr=1-4-catcorr&keywords=dishwasher+deodoriser

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That was one of the least helpful bits of information that I have received. We do rinse the dishes; etc. I was hoping for some ideas on why the food particles were not flushing out of the system but being caught.in the depression just next to the drain. I had thought that i would have a dialogue with the expert, I see the possiblity to talk with the appliance technician, but if what i got for $35 was "rinse your dishes" I can't afford to talk to a technician. Please reverse my charges.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

If you wish the full information. after the washing period finishes there is a quantity of water laden with small food/fat particles in the sump. these partilces as the water cools solidify inside the pipes and sump area below the filter as this is the lowest point.. Over a period of time these build up into a sludge which is then circulated as the new wash takes place. The lower the wash temperature the more the sludge. Over time the decomposition of the food residue gives off an unpleasant aroma which causes the dishwasher to smell musty. This can usually be rectified as advised above. With regard to your $35 this had not been paid to me nor will it be until such time as you are happy with the response. Regarding your question 'how do I stop this happening' -- you can't a new dishwasher has not debris, the debris is introduced into the dishwasher by the owner. Only the owner can minimize the debris but following the intructions in the first paragraph will help you minimize it. Regarding a conversation - if you rate the answer and post your phone number to '*****@******.***' I will be happy to talk to you at no extra charge.