Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a lg fridge that keeps icing up just on top of the

Customer Question

I have a lg fridge that keeps icing up just on top of the evaporator and the drain pan. I cleared out the drain and installed heater probe thinking that would be the problem, but I got a call back today that is doing the same thing. I check the thermistor in the evaporator section and I got 7000 ohms. I'm not sure what is causing this.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

I suspect the issue may be related to a fan issue. May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
LFX33975ST/03
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

Please allow me just a few minutes to look that model up.

Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

Is the frost only on the top of the coil? Is the drain just frozen again or is it frosted down there, too?

Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

Is the fresh food door sealing well?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
on the left top and right top it was in a soft ice look like snow. The pan is solid with hard ice.
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

Is the fan running okay? Is the temperature remaining steady and good after it is thawed?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i believe that,s all okay. Its in the freezer evap section
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

So it is the freezer evaporator that is frosting, not the refrigerator as first stated?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't know about the temps how steady they are because I not around it. The fan was off when I open the evaporator section.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
that is right.
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

I suspect the fan is the cause of the problem if the frost is only at the top. I suspect it will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
okay that what I was leaning toward. Thanks Ill let you know.
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

Sounds good, thank you!