Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore

My refrigerator is periodically leaking water and it has a

Customer Question

My refrigerator is periodically leaking water and it has a coating of ice on the bottom layer of the freezer.
Julianne maher
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 4 months ago.

Hello, this is Dave and I'm happy to help you. The defrost drain is frozen on your refrigerator.

Here is a video of how to access the drain in the back inside of the freezer. An alternative is to turn off the refrigerator and leave the doors open until all ice behind the back wall has melted out and drained down into the drain pan. You will still need to follow the instructions showing removing and cleaning the black drain grommet in the compressor compartment and wait until all water stops dipping down from the freezer section.

Clean and reinstall the old black drain grommet as a temporary repair but order the improved drain kit. Use kit number W10619951. Take care not to stress the drain pan when installing the bottom into the drain pan as it can crack easily. There are good instructions that come with the part. Here is a link to the kit with a picture. You can purchase locally at an appliance store or many places on-line.

Were you able to try the repair?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I think your advice was probably adequate but much too difficult for me to implement. I have called a local repairman. Not your fault.Julianne Maher