Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a G.E refrigerator model Pye23ksdcss that was not

Customer Question

I have a G.E refrigerator model Pye23ksdcss that was not cooling in ref.compartment.The coil in ref. section had a solid block of frost on top of coil and a piece of ice in fan blade. the rest of the coil was evenly frosted.All doors are sealing. any ideas what might have caused frost to form in this ares?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

If the rest of the coil is lightly frosted, it sounds like the defrost cycle was shutting off too early. Move the defrost sensor clipped onto the top of the silver coils over closer to the area where the ice block was forming and that will make sure the heater doesn't turn off until it's completely defrosted.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am a service technician with 30 years experience working on a fairly new refrigerator that I haven't serviced before. The coil is mounted horizontally behind crisper bins in back of french door refrig. compartment. Thermistor and defrost safety limiter are both mounted on bottom right side of evap. coil. Heavy frost and ice build-up are covering complete top of coil and rest of coil looks normal.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Yes, that is why I said I would move the defrost sensors to an area where the frost is building up. That will make sure the defrost heater stays on longer to ensure it's all defrosted.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This refrigerator has a styrofoam cover tightly fitting onto the coil would not be able to move the defrost thermostat away from the coil without breaking the styrofoam away from it . Is this a factory recommended repair for this model or is it just a general recommendation requarding a defrost pattern on an evap. coil?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

I have been instructed by the factory to do this before, so yes this would be a factory recommended repair.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?