Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a 2+ year old Kenmore Washer model 110.21102011 with

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2+ year old Kenmore Washer model 110.21102011 with the 2 following problems I need to fix:
1. The clothes wrap around the agitator, especially the lower part where the fins widen out. I have removed the agitator cap and it looks like the dogs are OK. As far as I can tell it ratchets fine. Of course I can't watch it because the lid is locked.
2. The washer is continually getting out of balance and bangs. Often, it will stop the spin cycle, then, instead of finishing the spin cycle, it goes back into Fill or Rinse. It's almost like the banging gets it confused. I have tilted the unit over and inspected the suspension rods. As far as I can see, the rods are intact at each end and don't see anything broken. Not sure what else is involved with controlling the balance. It's possible the agitator situation makes the balance issue worse, but not always. We think this has gotten worse over time. Sometimes, we have been successful cancelling the cycle completely, unplugging for a long time, then starting again. Just unplugging without cancelling does not usually work as it seems to pickup where it left off.
Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly.

Answer:

That is a common issue the motor control board in the console is bad and not reversing the motor for agitate, thus all the clothes get wrapped around the agitator and the unit will never balance correctly. The Triac in the controller is bad for the reverse on the motor.

You need part #6 at this link to fix. A ton of these failed.

CLICK HERE

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything else I should consider for the balance and banging issues? Thanks

That is causing those as well, since the clothes are not be properly distributing due to the unit not reversing in agitate that is something that will happen a lot.